All regular University of Pittsburgh full-time and part-time faculty and staff can buy a package of Microsoft software for personal use at very low cost. As a faculty or staff member at the University of Pittsburgh, you have two different options for home-use of Microsoft software titles, including Office 2016 for Windows, Office 2016 for Mac, and Windows 10. Volunteer faculty and temporary staff are not covered under this agreement.
You have a free and a pay-for-personal-use option (costing less than $10 per title) for getting home-use access to available Microsoft software applications.
Software is for personal use. Faculty and staff must understand the Product Use Rights, Microsoft's restrictions on how the software can be used.
Some software titles are available at no cost to all full-time and part-time University faculty through the Software Download Service at My Pitt; see product list. Faculty should be aware that students can also acquire this software or use it in the campus computing labs. These products can also be purchased by departments for professional use on University computers.
Option 1 – Microsoft Software titles for home use that are available through your department
If your department has already purchased the Microsoft Campus Agreement which includes Office 365 for home-use. You can access this software through http://portal.office.com.
Note that home-use access of this software expires if you leave the University.
Option 2 – Microsoft Software titles for home use that are available to purchase for personal use
As a faculty or staff member, you can now take advantage of a new way to get permanent home-use access to use several Microsoft software titles, including Office 2016 for Windows, Office 2016 for Mac, and Windows 10. The cost is $9.95 per title for a single-use, non-transferable license that never expires.
To download home-use software:
- Click this link. (You will be taken to a third-party provider's site).
- Log in with your University Computing Account username and password.
- Click on the desired Microsoft software icon.
- Select the language version you wish to download from the drop-down menu (the default is English), then Click Add To Cart.
- Click Checkout.
- After accepting the licensing agreement and completing the checkout process, be sure to note the Activation Key listed in red on your receipt.
Note: The activation key is only visible for 31 days.
- From the receipt, click Start Download and follow the installation instructions to install the software on your computer.
Subscription Option for Microsoft Project Online Pro and Visio Pro
Microsoft Project Online Pro for Office 365 delivers the latest version of Project Professional as a subscription through Office 365. Your software is automatically kept up to date (with options for customizable policies) and users on the go can work from the computer of their choice by streaming the complete desktop client with Project on Demand. Keep deployments simple, benefit from flexible options, and enjoy integration with other Office 365 products like Skype and SharePoint.
Microsoft Visio Pro for Office 365, available as a subscription through Microsoft Office 365, includes the same features, stencils, and shapes as Visio Professional 2013. In addition, it allows each user to install Visio on up to five PCs running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10. It also adds Visio On Demand, which lets users temporarily install Visio on any PC running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10, and it automatically installs the latest updates (both feature and security) for the duration of the subscription.
|Product||Operating Systems||Personal Purchase by Faculty & Staff||Departmental Purchase||Annual Maintenance Renewal Date||Media Cost||Available through Software Download Service for Faculty|
|Cost||Includes Home Use Rights|
|Project Online Pro for Office 365||Windows||$20*||$20*||Yes||June 1||n/a||No|
|Visio Pro for Office 365||Windows||$8*||$8*||Yes||June 1||n/a||No|
- These are subscription based applications.
- These are annual licenses; they expire 8/31.
- Prices are pro-rated monthly relative to the University's Microsoft contract anniversary date of 8/31.
- Requires a University of Pittsburgh username.
- Please allow 5 business days for processing.